I am the Director of Data Science at Devoted Health, using data science and machine learning to help fix America’s health care system. Previously, I was Chief Data Scientist at the Kenyan startup BRCK, cofounded the anti-fake news company New Knowledge, created the data science podcast Partially Derivative, led the data team at the humanitarian non-profit Ushahidi’s, and was the director of the low-resource technology governance project at FrontlineSMS. I also wrote Machine Learning For Python Cookbook (O’Reilly 2018) and created Machine Learning Flashcards.
I earned a Ph.D. in Political Science from the University of California, Davis researching the quantitative impact of civil wars on health care systems. I earned a B.A. from the University of Miami, where I triple majored in political science, international studies, and religious studies.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @chrisalbon
- Ph.D., Political Science, University of California, Davis. 2012
- Dissertation: “Civil Wars And Health Systems”, a quantitative analysis of the determinants of rebel and government behavior towards health system destruction and reconstruction using original data
- Fields: International Relations, Quantitative Methodology, and Epidemiology
- M.A., Political Science, University of California, Davis. 2010
- Thesis: “U.N. Peace Operations And Public Health After Civil War”
- B.A., University of Miami, Miami, FL. 2006
- Triple majored in political science, international studies, and religious studies
- Director of Data Science, Devoted Health, 2018 - Present
- Leading Devoted Health’s data science team. The team is responsible for all statistical analyses, machine learning, and analytics across the company.
- Chief Data Scientist, BRCK, 2017 - 2018
- Managed data science at BRCK. Workedon professionalizing data science and analytics at the fast growing Kenyan telecom startup.
- Author, Machine Learning With Python Cookbook, O’Reilly Media, 2018
- Creator, Machine Learning Flashcards, 2017
- Co-founder & Co-host, Partially Derivative, 2014 - 2017
- Co-founded a podcast on data and data science.
- Co-founder & Chief Science Officer, New Knowledge, 2015 - 2016
- In charge of everything data science and product.
- Director of Data, Ushahidi, 2013 - 2015
- The non-profit’s first data science hire; led Ushahidi’s data science team.
- Project Director, FrontlineSMS, 2012 - 2013
- Led FrontlineSMS’s Governance Project, an effort improve the transparency and accountability of governments through low resource mobile technology.